Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 17 December 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten New (To Me) Authors from 2013

After a brief hiatus, I'm back linking up with The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is "Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2013".

1.  Rainbow Rowell.  I kept reading about her on blogs, so finally I picked up Eleanor and Park and Attachments from the library.   They were great!  I'm hoping to read Fangirl in 2014.

2.  Liane Moriarty.  A friend recommended What Alice Forgot, and I ended up plowing through it in a couple of days.  Such an interesting read!

3.  Tan Twan Eng.  I got this recommendation from Barefoot Med Student and really enjoyed The Garden of Evening Mists.  The added bonus was that I gained a better understanding of my husband's home country and its history.

4.  Ann Patchett.  Our book club read State of Wonder this spring, and I found it fascinating and really strange.  I'm not sure why I hadn't picked up any of her books until now.

5.  Christopher Buckley.  I picked up one of his books on CD for a drive to Ottawa, and it kept me entertained for about 9 hours of driving.
6.  Colm Toibin.  My book club read Brooklyn in March, and it was awesome.  I'll totally pick up more of his work in the future.

7.  Elena Gorokhova.  I had A Mountain of Crumbs on my to-read list for ages, because we all know I can't resist a Russian memoir.  So glad I finally read it this year.

8.  Kristin Cashore.  I devoured each one of her loooong books in a couple of days.  Write more, please!  :-)

9.  Connie Willis.  Time travelers from Oxford having adventures in the Middle Ages and Victorian England! 

10.  Jasper Fforde.  Time travel and jumping into literature all in one book series.  I thought moving to Hogwarts was my fantasy, but this series puts that to shame.

6 comments:

  1. Connie Willis is one of my favorite authors ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! Rainbow Rowell is from my hometown -- used to write for our newspaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! She has had a lot of blogging interest this year. I read so many reviews that I had to pick up a couple of her books.

      Delete
  3. Rainbow Rowell is on my list as well, I absolutely loved Fangirl. It's my favorite book of 2013 by far! I haven't read her other 2, but I'm hoping to soon! Great Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Rainbow Rowell is really big this year! :D
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete