Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 23 May 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Summer Reads

I've been a neglectful blogger lately. I've actually started a few TTT posts, but since my work life got crazier, I never finished them in time to post on Tuesday...BUT today I'm back. This week's theme is a summer freebie, which is nice because now that we've had Victoria Day, it feels like summer is on its way. I'm feeling uncreative in terms of picking topics, so I'll just post my summer list of books to read. This year, I'm participating in a summer reading challenge to read books in 25 different categories between May 15 and August 31. I'm already two books down, but here are some that are further down the list and I am to read after summer officially starts on June 21. I"ll post some of the categories and what books I plan to read for each one.

1. A book title with a location in it: A Passage to India by E.M. Forster.

2. A book set on a continent I've never been to: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.

3. A book set on an island or body of water: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer.

4. A book about food or with food in the title: Chocolat by Joanne Harris.

5. A book set in an unfamiliar culture: Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

6. A book with an immigrant or refugee as a main character: Gold Mountain Blues by Ling Zhang.

7. A book based on time travel, world travel, space travel: Saga, Volume 7 by Brian Vaughan and Fiona Staples.

8. A book set in a country I'd like to visit: In A Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson.

9. A book set in the wilderness: The Break by Katherena Vermette.

10. A book originally written in a foreign language: The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great reading challenge! I'm really intrigued! I've been doing the same thing with Top Ten's lately as well - just constantly starting the post and then never finishing it in time!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like such an interesting challenge! You should definitely post the rest of the categories and your picks for them. I especially need more recommendations for books that were originally written in a foreign language-- I've only ever read one or two like that.

    ((I have a TTT on my blog as well))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely interesting! It is through an online book club and we have a travel and adventure theme this year. I'll amend the rest of the categories to my post and maybe do a post summing up the challenge over the summer.

      I've read a lot of books translated from foreign languages, but most are classics since I have a degree in Russian and East European studies.

      Delete
  3. Lots of good titles here! I LOVED Chocolat and Gurnsey. I'm reviewing Lisa See's newest book next Monday--fyi Passage to India has been on my list since the movie in the 80's. I need to give it a try sometime. Enjoy your summer reading!

    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I've only read one of these -- CHOCOLAT. It's been a long time, though, so I'm definitely due for a re-read. I need to read the sequel as well. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love E. M. Forster, but haven't ever read A Passage to India. Need to bump that one up the list.

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete