Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 12 January 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: 2015 Releases I Hope To Read in 2016

The official title of this week's Top Ten Tuesday topic (as always, at The Broke and the Bookish) is "2015 I meant to get to, but didn't", but I wouldn't really qualify this list as such because I did complete most of the books that I meant to last year. These are all 2015 releases that I added to my to-read list, and hope to read within the next year or so.

1. Black Man In a White Coat: A Doctor's Reflections on Race and Medicine by Damon Tweedy: I added this to my Overdrive holds following a discussion in a medical spouses discussion group, and it sounds eye-opening and interesting. My hold has just come in, so will read it within the next few weeks.

2. The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra: I have this on order from Amazon. Squee!

3. Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith: Thus far, I've enjoyed the Cormoran Strike books as some good, escapist, detective novel fun, and I'm looking forward to the next one, which has just come in on Overdrive. (Sidenote: Why must all my Overdrive holds come in at once???)

4. Visiting Hours: A Memoir of Friendship and Murder by Amy E. Butcher: One of my goals this winter is to read through a bunch of books that I bought on Kindle and forgot about. I purchased this in the spring because the author is a friend of a friend, so it's on my short-list to read by the end of March.

5. The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan: I've been hesitant to add this to my list because it seemed a bit cheesy, but a lot of people I follow seem to have enjoyed it, so it will be a fun read during end-of-term stress.

6. Ms Marvel: Volume 4 by G. Willow Wilson: I had this on my fall TBR, but the library didn't order it, for some reason, even though they both the previous three volumes. I may have to bite the bullet and purchase it myself.

And a few others on my long-list:
7. Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman: This got some good reviews, and at some point I'll likely pick it up.

8. The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman: I add this on a whim because of Emily on The Book Geek. At present, it's #159 on my Goodreads list and the library still hasn't got any copies, so I'm not likely to read it in the near future.

9. Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad by M.T. Anderson: I spent the summer of 2004 in St. Petersburg, where I had the opportunity to visit the Siege Memorial (where you can see Shostakovich's violin on display), as well as to attend a Shostakovich opera, so this is obviously high on my radar, but I don't know when I'll be in the mood for the heavy topic.


Me at the Siege Memorial. Grainy photos and date stamp courtesy of my old, non-digital camera.

10. The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon: This is a huge maybe for me since I'm just finishing The Bone Season, and it's intriguing, but I'm not in a rush to continue the series just yet, especially as the remaining five (!!) planned books are still unpublished. I'll probably get around to it one day.

5 comments:

  1. The fourth volume of Ms. Marvel is amazing, and so is Vengeance Road! Happy reading!
    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice list and a few new to me books to check out!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-2015-releases-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been curious about The Royal We too... My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I should have included Career of Evil as well! My library is moving very slowly for that. The Royal We really was fantastic. A very happy book, not as light as it appears at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! At first, I dismissed it because it looked so light, but then a lot of people I follow seemed to love it, so I'm intrigued.

      Delete