Today's topic for Top Ten Tuesday is "Books to read if you're in the mood for X". I'm currently being reading a book that is deliciously creepy, so that's the topic that I chose. For creepy, I'm going with books that make the hair on your neck stand on end a bit, rather than gory. I'm not a big horror fan, but once in a while, I like to read something that scares me a bit.
1. The Diviners by Libba Bray: I'm reading this right now and it's spooky and fantastic. If I hadn't had three assignments due within a week, I would have spent all weekend reading this book!
2. Dracula by Bram Stoker: The quintessential scary book!
3. Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin: I read this nearly 20 years ago, but it still spooks me. The growing sense of terror has stayed with me for years, and the film scares me more than any blood and gore horror movie could.
4. The Shining by Stephen King: I could have chosen a whole round of King books, but there are so many and I read them ages ago. The Shining is the one that has stayed with me all these years. Is Jack just crazy? Is the hotel alive? This book is so deliciously scary.
5. Let the Right One In by John Lindqvist: I'm not super into vampires, but this book was eerie and great, and the Swedish film was fantastic.
6. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier: The housekeeper is so creepy. The ex-wife's legacy is so creepy. You never know who is to be trusted, and it's so gripping.
7. This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti: A Christian thriller that is straight-out terrifying at times.
8. Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry: This is the second book The Giver series, and it is permeated by an air of being unsure who to trust and if there is something really wrong behind the scenes.
9. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle: Demon hounds?! That's pretty scary.
10. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn: This book drew me by its strong sense that there was something that was really not right about that town. So freaky.