Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Saturday 31 December 2011

Resolutions, or a lack thereof

I'm not big on making new year's resolutions, mostly because I think that if you want to change something, you ought to do it now rather than waiting for a special day to do so. 

A long time ago, though, I did make resolution to start reading the Bible regularly, and that led to a life's resolution to read the Bible every day; however, the way that I do so keeps changing.  As a new Christian, I did a three-year reading plan that involved reading through the whole Bible.  Since then, I have generally read through one book at a time, but to jump around between the Old and New Testaments, trying to make sure that I get a good mix.  This past year, I tried a Bible-in-one-year plan, and although I have mostly stayed on schedule (I'm about a week off), I have found that this isn't the plan for me, as I tend to skim through the Old Testament passages and find it difficult to be following several books of the Bible at once.

This year, I decided to start something new.  I found a plan online that covers the STORY of the Bible in one year.  You read about a chapter a day, and get a good overview of the Bible without reading the whole thing.  From glancing over the first few months, it seems like it will involve pretty much all of Genesis and Exodus, but (thankfully) only selected parts of Leviticus.  I was thinking today that I may actually do this in The Message Bible as a change, to really try to read the Bible with "new eyes", and ideally I will journal along as I go. 

Anyway, I'm posting this on the blog to give me a bit of accountability, and also to say that if anyone is interested in more information on the plan, let me know and we could even read through it together!

Lastly, let me wish you, as the Germans say, a "guten Rutsch" into the new year and a fantastic 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment