Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Reads in 2013 (So Far!)


Today is Top Ten Tuesday, and over at The Broke and the Bookish, the theme du jour is the top ten reads from the first half of 2013.  I've read a lot of great books this year, so it was hard to decide.  Here goes:

1.  Graceling by Kristin Cashore:  I think I like this book so much because it caught me by complete surprise.  I'm not a big fan of fantasy, and picked the book up at the library on a whim after a friend posted this link on facebook.  To my surprise, once I'd started, I couldn't put it down!

2.  A Mountain of Crumbs by Elena Gorokhova:  Fascinating memoir of growing up in the later years of the USSR.  I felt a bit of a kinship with the author since we both strange obsessions with foreign languages.

3.  The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy and Kathy Keller:  I've posted so much on this book already, so there's not much else to say.  :-)

4.  Brooklyn by Colm Toibin:  This was a book club pick.  I loved the depiction of the ocean journey and of Brooklyn in the 1950s.

5.  No One Is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausubel:  It's so hard to describe this book, but trust me, it was beautiful and strangely not as depressing as it seems.


6.  Quiet. The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain:  This book was a gift from a friend, and found myself nodding in agreement or having "aha" moments the whole way through.

7.  Doomsday Book by Connie Willis:  Time travel, woohoo!

8.  State of Wonder by Ann Patchett:  Another book club pick.  From the description, it sounded so weird and I didn't know if I'd enjoy it at all, but it really pulled me in and touches on a lot of thought-provoking topics things like medical ethics, childbearing, the pharmaceutical industry, the role of women, etc.

9.  A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra:  I can't say much about this except WOW.

10.  The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng:  I'm cheating a little as I still have 50 pages left, but this is a really thought-provoking read.

4 comments:

  1. Most of these are new to me... My daughter has been urging me to read Graceling, and Quiet has been on my to-read list practically since it came out. *sigh* So many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to have a pretty eclectic choice, so some of these are newish, others are old. Graceling and the sequel Bitterblue are fantastic! I highly recommend them.

      Delete
  2. I started reading A Constellation of Vital Phenomena but put it down for some reason. I liked the start, should really pick it back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great read! You have to get all the way through to really see all the intersections between the characters.

      Delete