Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Wednesday 26 June 2013

An Unexpected Pleasure

We all have days that feel like they were lost somewhere, like the time flew by and at the end you look back and realize nothing was accomplished.  Today, however, feels like an unexpected idyll.

Over the weekend, it became very clear that my car was not sounding the way it should.  Everyone agreed that the muffler was the problem, so this morning, I dropped it off at a garage my husband's friend recommended, in an unfamiliar part of town.  The garage was close to a subway station, but instead of walking straight there, I decided to meander for a while on Danforth Avenue, checking out the little independent shops and enjoying the sunshine.

I walked for two subway stops, probably about 2km, and I did not see ONE single Starbucks.  Instead, I enjoyed coffee and a fresh scone at an independent cafe called Caketown (how can you say no to that?) and discovered that Danforth between Woodbine and Coxwell seems to be the Ethiopian part of town; there must at least half a dozen Ethiopian restaurants, as well as some Ethiopian food stores.  I found out we have an Obama Cafe and it is down the street from the Emerald Isle Seniors Society.  This is why I love my city!  I saw moms and babies, senior citizens, bikers, and a few homeless men, and no one seemed to be in a hurry.

I don't know why this day gives me so much pleasure.  Maybe it's because often life seems so scheduled and rushed, so it's rare to have a slow morning of just plain enjoying my own metropolis.  Even the subway ride home was enjoyable, as the cars weren't full and I got to sit enjoying a light read.  Such a fantastic morning!

1 comment:

  1. How nice to have a morning when you have nothing pressuring you into that "hurry up" mode!!

    ReplyDelete